Friday, March 29, 2013

My Playground


The outdoors, It is where I find peace and solitude. I call it my playground.

As a kid who grew up in a logging town, I was exposed at a very early age to the wonders of nature. I've seen ginormous trees, butterflies, lizards, big and small mammals, mountains, different shapes and sizes of insects, the sea, waterfalls, snakes, rivers, birds and what-have-you even before I learned about them in the four corners of a classroom. My dad was into road construction so during weekends, he would bring me to his workplace or his project sites. We would be driving, windows down, for many kilometers under the forest canopy. Canopies so thick that sunlight penetrates only when the wind picks up and the trees sway gently. These bonding trips with my dad is what made me enjoy, love and be curious with nature. Surprisingly, it's also the time I discovered I have itchy feet.

Me and my mom in my dad's company-issued Ford F-150 pick-up truck
during one of our road trips.

Moving to the metropolis for higher education, the things I love to see and places I want to go to can no longer be experienced on a frequent basis. Longing for these, I joined outdoor clubs and got involved in outdoor sports so I could go to places where I want to be. I shied away from indoor activities where you are confined in gymnasiums and arenas. I joined a mountaineering club in one of the universities in Manila to satiate my desire for the outdoors. With my interest in photography and the outdoors, my itchy feet were back on its track.

(clockwise from top left) Scuba diving in Anilao, Batangas; Kayaking in Calatagan, Batangas;
Mt. Biking in Benguet; On top of Mt. Apo, Kidapawan, North Cotabato. (Center) Akiki Trail of Mt. Pulag, Kabayan, Benguet.

Through the years, I have engaged in different outdoor activities and traveled to far and distant places. Lately though, I think in the past 10 years, my interest leaned towards our feathered friends. Birdwatching or birding is the observation of wild birds as a recreational activity or as I fondly define it as "a lifetime ticket to the theater of nature". It is the only activity that I know of, where you can do it anywhere in the world, anyplace, any time of the day (and night), and with a group or on your own. Couple that with photography, voila!, an instant love affair.

"A lifetime ticket to the theater of nature"

This blog is about birdwatching or anything related to birds.  Follow me as I immortalize into electronic memory my adventures in my playground.



16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on starting your blog! Looking forward to more posts and adventures! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! Congrats, Jun! Looking forward to many more days of your blog! Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!!! this is an awesome avenue for nature lovers like me....setting one's heart on something you love to do is inexplicably fulfilling! kudos friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of The Big Year which I looove! Watch it! Perfect for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the movie twice :) thanks for dropping by. Safe travels Jen!

      Delete
  6. Haha my (inactive) blog also refers to that Mindanao childhood that has us both constantly wanting to go back to nature! Wag ka gumaya sa akin, keep your blog alive :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, THAT Mindanao childhood! Thank you very much Lu-Ann :) See you soon!

      Delete
  7. Hi Jun,

    I joined in your journey of nature. And I found it so wonderful. I reached peak of mountains and marvel at the colorful group of fish underwater. What an amazing attitude you have. And ended watching beautiful birds with your Pixel Playground.

    You should share your blog to the world. It shows a life well lived. Healthy and communing with nature's best. Interacting with sweet birds whose colors fascinate. Good job, Jun Osano. Often during the Batanes Photo Safari, I mistook you to the other Jun, almost your age. He had crossed over to God's paradise. I wish you well and you are vigorously clicking to add in your Pixel Playground. I will be a regular visitor. Amanda is a candidate in BB Pilipinas No. 46. What a tough girl. A newbie. My best and warm regards. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Idol Mandy! Good luck to Binibini Amanda...Go #46!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations Jun. You have taken the first step of a long journey. People like me would like to know what is the latest in the birding world and it would certainly be of help if you keep your blog up to date. If not daily, at least on a weekly basis. Looking forward to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will update this blog on a regular basis Ely. Thanks. Happy Birding! See you around :)

      Delete